On Saturday 10th June, 150 of our wonderful supporters joined us at Stamford Bridge for our Summer Gala.
The evening offered a chance to celebrate six years of friendship across Camden and Islington, and across Southwark and Lambeth through our sister charity South London Cares.
After all, our city is sizzling in the summer, full of exciting events and rich in opportunity. But if you don't have someone to share the summer with, it can be an isolating time – with long days drawing out and no way to feel part of the party.
So on Saturday, our guests came together to change that, and help older and younger Londoners share their summers.
The evening was hosted by comedian and Cares Family supporter Holly Walsh, who shared a few jokes in between courses. And Nick Simkin was our wonderful auctioneer, who helped encourage our guests to bid on one of the 28 auction lots available.
We also heard from neighbours Emma and Tony, who shared their stories on what it means to be a part of our community network.
After a delicious three-course meal, guests then took to the dance floor to enjoy a ceilidh, led by the energetic Barnce Fever. The room hummed with laughter, as guests twirled each other around the dance floor.
Thanks to the generosity of everyone in the room – and thanks to everyone who donated, bid in the auction and brought a piece of art – £18,000 was raised for South London Cares and North London Cares. We're chuffed; that will fund all our summer activities on both sides of the river this June, July and August, allowing neighbours of all ages to share time, company, laughter, conversation and ultimately friendship.
The evening wouldn't have been possible without the generosity, kindness and support of several businesses and individuals. In particular, we'd like to thank:
- Akira and Kathleen for making the event possible;
- Kate for her endless hard work;
- The events team at Stamford Bridge;
- MUFG and Leigh Day for sponsoring the event;
- HCPC for their support;
- Nick Simkin for running the auction;
- Holly Walsh for compering the evening;
- Tony and Emma for sharing their stories;
- Barnce Fever for the fantastic ceilidh;
- Mantas Garnelis for doing all the wonderful design for this evening;
- Lorna, Elsa, Mark and Lisa for their support;
- Perivan for providing all of our print work;
- Kasia for photographing the event;
- Ulterior Global Event Management for donating the iPads for the auction;
- Andy for his fantastic support and help with tech;
- PEAK Hire for providing the stage, lighting and sound;
- All the businesses and individuals who generously donated fantastic
prizes for the auction; Southwark Brewery, Inside Track PT, London Cru, William Luz, LSO, Great Western Railway, Brindisa, Amanda de Vaulx at MyTwirl, Maisie Yoga, OddBox, Kirsty Hamilton Photography, Rebecca Goddard at Fruitful, Miranda Nevin at Hayman's Gin, Jane Wingfield at Sakatelle, Iva Kralj-Taylor at Disney, Chase Distillery, and Katherine Bird.
We are already looking forward to seeing you there next year!
Posted by Emily Clarke on Monday 12th June 2017
Emily is NLC's Head of Development.